How to wash Riedel Glasses: Hand vs. Machine
Ever wondered how to clean Riedel Wine glasses correctly? Yes this is the dirty part .. but guess what ....how you do this can definitely have an effect on your wine and your glasses.
One thing you should remember is that fine crystal is a perfectly smooth surface for odours which are particulate, to rest upon, making the glass bowl take on tastes and odours from such things as cardboard storage boxes, soap, chlorine etc. So it is important to insure that those wonderfully clear glasses are clean and fresh. Smell the glass empty, before use.
A dishwasher is safe to use as long as you take the following into account.
Heat and water bring lead out of glass. This is one of the reasons glass can go cloudy over time.
- Never soak lead crystal.
- Use a cool wash
- Only wash glass with glass – never plates and cutlery. Food particles are the other reason glass may go cloudy.
- Use a fine particle or better modern gel dishwasher detergent.
- Use a glass protector which is now in many brand of detergent.
To wash glasses by hand:
- wash under warm water, very dilute detergent can be used.
- place on cloth to dry
- for extra shine, steam over boiling water then use Riedel crystal cloth
- to polish use tea towels and Riedel crystal cloth
- hold glass by base and polish base
- use left hand to cradle the bowl and polish bowl with your right hand never twist the base and bowl